Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Leon chocolate and orange brownie

More mousse than brownie, Leon's offering (recommended to me by my friend Nicole) has the depth and bitter orange flavour of a dark Terry's chocolate orange and the moist, rich texture of a torte or a crumby mousse (and it glistens damply in the light). It has soft walnuts and plenty of orange zest to chew on.

Orange and walnuts is an interesting mix and I think it works - the nuts seem to be there more for texture than for flavour as the orange is definitely the main player in this brownie. It's a shame it's packaged in plastic - it doesn't look very appealing at all, but I suppose that makes them stackable, Pret-style, on the shelves by Leon's till, and it indicates it's almost certainly not home-made. I like its chocolatey punch, and the addition of orange, but I don't think it's anywhere near the best brownie I've tasted (sorry Nicole!) so I'm going to give it a 3.5/5.

4 comments:

vv said...

I agree with your review of the Leon brownie entirely; the texture isn't that perfect slightly-chewy consistency, HOWEVER in my rankings it's pretty high because of the fact that it's made without wheat!

Leon use ground almonds instead of wheat, and fruit sugars (and orange oil) to sweeten instead of processed sugar, so given that it's wheat and gluten free, i think they've done a pretty amazing job.
There's a leon down the road from where i work and i actually found your blod because i googled their brownies after i had one - i couldn't believe how good it was given how (relatively) virtuous it was as well!

vv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi I Hvae some tips for best brownies. I do actually really love the Leon version...though I dont find it very browniesh..but think of it as soemthing else and its great..like a grown up version of Terry's Chocolate orange :)

However, back to the more serious issue at hand..best brownies:

in no particular order:

A: The Boston Brownies (include Cranberies) at Cook and COnditier (Branches near Waterloo, near Clearkenwell, and available in the Curzon Cinema cafe on Shatsberry Av)....rich, luch, moist..with a cranberry tang..amazing!

B: Saturday at the Brunswick centre near Russel Square tube..there is a food market..there is usually a cake stand..they have the most amazing raspberry and white choc chunk brownies...maybe a little over moist..but totaly amaizing...u have to try them

C: Also in CLearkenwel there is a fancy cake shop with a huge dusty of cake in the window (clerkenwell road I think) and they make the lushest most luxurious white chocoalte blondies...also totally to die for...

I suggest cycling to all these places to make up for all the calories! Have fun!